Sunday, May 2, 2010

An Aspiring Cricketer

It has been with me from the day I understood all what the word meant.... cricket !!! It was everything to me the only sport that I really understood right from the tender age of three.... The favourite batsman of mine was always Sourav and Sachin and i can still recall how i dreamt of sharing the dressing room with these guys.... :)

You never really know what's in store for you when you are that small but yet my intuitions made me like the sport.....made me like the game... gave me a feeling of what all i wanted to be ever.....

Not before 8 yrs did i take the game so seriously in lyf.... i used to play cricket in the early days with my dad like all children did.... wat i used to do was the most interesting..... baba used to give me 10 sums to solve and in return he said if i did them successfully i would be given 10 pieces of chicken for dinner !! I strongly protested and demanded a 10 over match of cricket with him instead....!!!!

The rules of the game was very simple if the ball touched the balcony walls it was straight way 10 runs and if i got out somehow (my dad never dared doing tht !!! ) then baba had to admit it was a no-ball and i was of course not out !!!! So lovely were those days......

When i first joined the cricket coaching centre wow i loved the way everything went !! I enjoyed the very fact that i had to wear pad, helmet and gloves before batting !!! The days went so fast i can't recall everything....but as the days went i fielded well and batted well..... as for the bowling well i took a few wickets in the net but i am not the least ashamed to say tht i felt quite relieved if i went for less than 15 runs in an over in a match !!!!

Gradually i came to be the captain of my club team and won a few tournaments against other sides.... i used to open the innings always.... it was a dream come true for me when i got selected for my school team..... i knew tht it was perhaps the first step of success to the career i had dreamt of once !!! But destiny had something else in store for me. It was just three matches for the school team tht i had played when the dreaded day of 19th March 2009 came..........

It was a Saturday and i was practicing running between the wickets for a major upcoming tournament in my club..... I decided to take a risky single and as i was about to complete it i felt it necessary to dive to make my ground... but the quite unnecessary act changed my life completely..... i collided with the fielder mid-air !! the 90 kg guy came down landind on my shoulder..... i broke my collar-bone.....!!!!

My parents didn't allow me to play cricket at club/skl level anymore after tht day.......i still wish to get back into tht game.... tears come to my eyes when i c the pad and gloves kept packed on my balcony..... I promise to return back to the game......and i believe i will ......

No comments:

Post a Comment